We are proud of our rich heritage, friendly neighborhoods, quality of life, and services we provide. We are here to provide for our citizens and customers services and projects that will move the city toward accomplishing its goals for livability, safety, and growth of our economy.
If you have comments, questions, concerns, or potential problems, please contact us by using our Citizen Request Tracker. We look forward to hearing from and working with you.
The Public Works Department provides many of the important services that citizens receive from their city government. The primary functions of the Public Works Department include: drinking water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, street and parking lot maintenance, maintenance of bike lanes and trails, landscaping, parks construction and maintenance, solid waste management, building maintenance, vehicle maintenance, design and construction engineering services, traffic engineering, and city mapping. The department also plays a major role in the planning of infrastructure for the city’s and surrounding area’s future.
The Sequim Public Works Department provides services to residents, businesses, and other city departments such as Planning, Clerk / Treasurer, Utility Billing, and the Police Department. The Public Works Department also works with state and other local agencies in grant applications, state mandated reports, traffic management, stormwater management, Dungeness River Basin water quality and supplies, regional wastewater services, and coordinated emergency response.
In 2021 Public Works presented a 1.5-hour class for the "Sequim 101" course covering operations of our municipal government. Click here to view the Story Map (15 slides, 15 sites) used for that class.
Locations & Budget
The Public Works Department has several locations from which we operate. They include our administrative and engineering department located at the City of Sequim City Hall, our public works shops on West Hemlock, and our water reclamation facility on Schmuck Road. We are currently the largest city department in both personnel and budget. The department employs over 30 full-time people with an annual operating budget of about $8 million, and $3 million to $6 million in capital projects each year.
Goals of the Department
The Public Works Department will:
- Continue to create a safe and accessible environment for the citizens and visitors of Sequim while improving the infrastructure of the city
- Continue to participate in regional planning efforts dealing with regional transportation, water supply, groundwater protection, fish habitat, wastewater treatment, and much more
- Continue to participate in the education of all about environmental issues and the city’s role in preserving and improving the ecosystems
- Continue to enhance communications and working relationships with other city departments and elected officials to better serve the needs of the citizens
- Provide professional support to the city manager and elected officials to better allow them to make good, informed decisions
- Continue to pursue funding for various projects and programs from outside funding sources such as grants, low interest loans, and public / private partnerships for the improvement of city infrastructure and services
- Continue to develop a well trained, equipped, and skilled city workforce to ensure safe, efficient, and effective services as well as being responsive in an emergency
- Work to ensure a friendly and hospitable department to do business with - we want you to want to do business with us
- Continue to develop ways for the public to participate in the development, operation, and preservation of the city’s infrastructure and environmental assets