Week Ending November 25
No update due to the Thanksgiving holiday.
Week Ending November 18
- Economic Development Plan – We had an active meeting with partners this week, which means we got great feedback and suggestions. The only downside is that we have more edits to make and I need some time to make those. I was hoping that we could get you the plan for the 11/28 meeting but I’m back to my original plan of presenting it to you on 12/12.
- Pre Council Advance Work Session – I will bring you a draft agenda for discussion at a Work Session on 1/9, prior to our planned Advance on 1/18. Any feedback that you provide at that time we will work into the day we have planned.
- No Meeting on 12/26 – We are not planning for you to meet this day. For one, it is our Christmas Day Holiday this year since the 25th is on a Sunday.
- Clallam Coworking (COW) Lease of Admin. Building – This item will be on the agenda for 11/28 and we plan to provide you an option for action that evening. If you were to take action, it would provide both parties certainty and would allow us to move forward with some necessary steps, like making sure the building has adequate internet access (requires the installation of some equipment), prior to COW’s planned occupation date, which would be 1/1/17. The alternative is action on 12/12.
- Regrets Video – We’ve enjoyed this video internally for some inspiration and I want to share it with you as well.
- Out of the Office – This is just a reminder that I’m out from mid-day on tomorrow through Sunday the 27th, returning on Monday the 28th. Joe Irvin is Acting City Manager while I am away.
- Happy Thanksgiving – I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for many things, including the privilege of working for all of you, working with amazing employees, community members, and organizations, and all of us getting to serve our community together.
Week Ending November 11
Welcome to our first weekly update that will get posted on our website! Here are this week’s items:
- Elwha River Bridge – I’m attaching an email recap (PDF) from Public Works Director David Garlington on the bridge’s status. There are some current traffic flow impacts and it appears that more significant impacts are coming once a choice of a repair occurs. We’ll be monitoring this situation and I recommend that we work together with the region to encourage WSDOT and the Legislature to provide whatever funding is needed.
- Community Plus Community Conversation Next Week – This link provides some background regarding the next Community Plus conversation, which will occur Tuesday evening at 5 PM at Baja Cantina. The focus will be on schools. I plan to attend.
- Youth Summit – Our Youth Services Task Force had a productive meeting and set spring as our target for having a Youth Summit. It will be at Guy Cole. Community Plus (Ken Stringer) stepped up to become the platform for the event. Mike Flynn and Mary Budke are also directly involved. They are looking for additional volunteers. Here is a link to their website with a scoping of the project. http://sequimcommunityplus.com/projects/sequim-youth-summit/. I’m optimistic that some great youth focused projects will emerge from the summit. These efforts, combined with others, should have a positive influence on some of our midterm Council goals around crime prevention and human services. Our short term goal of economic development could also be positively influenced as the youth of today represent our future workforce.
- TED Talk on Addiction – Bob Lake shared this talk with me this week. It has the potential to reframe how we think about some of our goals. I hope you’ll check it out as well.
- Thanksgiving Community Dinner – The Olympic Peninsula Healthy Community Coalition is providing a free Community Thanksgiving Dinner this year. I’ve attached an email with a flier (PDF). This is an amazing effort reflective of our amazing community!
- Upcoming Vacation – I’ll be out of the office from the afternoon of Friday, November 18 through the week of Thanksgiving. Joe Irvin is Acting City Manager in my absence. There will be a weekly update next week but not one during the week of Thanksgiving.