The City of Sequim will partner with Clallam County in the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) update outreach process. Two informational workshops will be held by Clallam County, as follows:
• The Clallam County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) will conduct a workshop with FEMA from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. on May 10, 2021, at http://www.clallam.net/bocc/public_meetings.html.
• The Clallam County Planning Commission (PC) will conduct a workshop from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on June 16, 2021, at http://websrv7.clallam.net/forms/uploads/PlanningCommissionPacket.pdf.
Overview of FEMA Update of the FIRM in Clallam County. FEMA is updating the FIRM for Clallam County, and the cities of Sequim, Port Angeles, and Forks. When your community’s flood map is updated to reflect the current risks where you live, requirements for flood insurance coverage and the cost of your policy can change.
As part of the FIRM update, FEMA provides a 90-day public comment/appeal period. Residents may submit an appeal if they perceive that modeling or data used to create the map is technically or scientifically incorrect. An appeal must include technical information, such as hydraulic or hydrologic data, to support the claim. If property owners see incorrect information that does not change the flood hazard information—such as a missing or misspelled road name in the Special Flood Hazard Area or an incorrect corporate boundary—they can submit a comment. Following the resolution of any comments or appeals, FEMA will notify communities of the effective date of the final maps. At that time, jurisdictions will have to ensure that their flood ordinances meet state and federal requirements.
Comments & Additional Information:
The outreach provided through the virtual workshops is one way to learn more about the flood map update. To learn more, visit the Clallam County Department of Community Development (DCD) website at http://www.clallam.net/DCD/. Navigate to the FEMA Process to Update the Flood Insurance Rate Maps in Clallam County quick links page. If you do not have internet access or prefer to speak with someone over the phone, contact City of Sequim Community Development Department at email@example.com or (360) 683-4908.
• To request a map of your property, contact: PropertyIDMap@starr-team.com.
• To learn more about flood insurance implications: visit floodsmart.gov, contact your FEMA Flood Insurance Liaison, Scott Van Hoff at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (425) 487-4677.
• For more information about the engineering behind FEMA’s FIRMs, and how to submit a comment or an appeal to the maps, contact: email@example.com.