The City of Sequim Downtown Plan was announced as a winner in Governor Christine Gregoire’s 2012 Smart Community Awards, which were announced on Friday, June 8, 2012. The program, now in its seventh year, recognizes achievements by local leaders to promote “smart growth” planning and projects that contribute to our quality of life in Washington State.
“We need vibrant, quality communities to keep and attract people and businesses to Washington state,” Gregoire said. “I commend the work of those local governments and their partners recognized with this award. Their efforts are vital to our continued economic recovery, and help make Washington a great state in which to live and do business.”
“We are very pleased to receive this award from the Governor’s office, not only because it recognizes the quality of our downtown plan, but because it recognizes the importance of a lively and thriving downtown core as an essential aspect of a healthy city,” said Sequim Mayor Ken Hays.
The Sequim City Council adopted the Downtown Plan, which was developed by LMN Architects, in July 2011 and the City is working on implementing aspects of the short term strategies. To view the Downtown Plan visit www.sequimwa.gov.
2012 Governor’s Smart Communities Award Winners
Smart Vision Award – Comprehensive Planning
• City of Renton City Center Community Plan
• City of Renton Parks, Recreation and Natural Areas Plan
• Skagit County Envision Skagit 2060
Smart Choices Award – Implementation of a Comprehensive Plan
• City of Sequim Downtown Plan
• City of Redmond Vision Blueprint: Redmond’s Capital Investment Strategy, 2013-2030
Smart Partnerships Award – Development Project to Implement a Plan
• City of Redmond Tudor Manor
Judges’ Merit Award
• City of Ellensburg Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy
• City of Shoreline Town Center Plan
• Snohomish County Tomorrow: County-wide Planning Policies