Animal Control

How can I be a responsible pet owner?

♦ Have your pet vaccinated by a licensed vet annually. Rabies vaccinations are required by law. Other vaccines are recommended for the health of your pet.

♦ Purchase your pet's license and have your pet wear the license so that you may be notified if they are lost.

♦ When out in public, keep your pets on a leash and clean up after them.

♦ Do NOT allow your pet to become a nuisance to your neighbors. Correct behavior problems immediately.

♦ Do NOT allow your pets to run at large. You could be liable if you pet injuries someone or something.

♦ Do NOT allow your dog(s) to bark continuously.

♦ Consider your pet's safety first. On HOT days, leave your pet at home.

What is a Potentially Dangerous or Dangerous Dogs?

Code Compliance can declare as potentially dangerous or dangerous any dog that:

A. When unprovoked inflicts a bite which penetrates the skin on a human or domestic animal.

B. Chases or threatens a person upon the streets, sidewalks and any public or private property other than the owner.

C. Has been declared by any other governmental agency for similar violation

Who Do I Contact About Animal Control?

Code Compliance is responsible for animal control within the City Limits of Sequim. If you have a lost or found animal or an animal concern, contact the Sequim Police Department at 683-7227 or DCD at 683-4908.

I’m Concerned About an Animal Being Abused or Neglected - Should I Call?

YES! If you have concerns about an animal's well being, call 683-4908 and Code Compliance will check the welfare of the animal. Minimum standards must be met to ensure the health and safety of the animal.

What if my pet gets out and is lost?

Pets do on occasion escape the safe area of their yards and homes. When this occurs, immediately contact Code Compliance and let them know your animal may be lost. Give as much detail as possible as to where the pet got loose, what they look like, tag information, etc. The more information we have, the better chance the animal will be returned safely.

If your pet is lost or has run away, always check with the local animal shelter to see if he/she has been picked up. Many animals are found with no tags or identification, when this occurs they are taken to the Humane Society. To contact the Humane Society, call 457-8206. Be ready to give pertinent information about your pet or the animal you have found.

Important information about licensing your pets

♦ All dogs over the age of 6 months are required to be licensed within the City and Clallam County.

♦ The City and County have joined together offering a Universal license that covers your pet whether you live inside the City limits or in the County.

♦ Cat owners are encouraged to have their cat licensed, but it is not required at this time.

♦ Rabies certificates are not required when licensing your pet.

♦ If your pet has been declared POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS OR DANGEROUS in another area, you are required to have that animal registered within the City of Sequim.

♦ Licenses are sold at the Police Department, Clallam County Humane Society and at the Sheriff’s office.

Rabies vaccinations are required by State and City Ordinance, but a rabies tag is NOT a license. There are several locations for pet licensing and the Humane Society often puts on special licensing and microchip clinics. Please contact the Olympic Peninsula Humane Society at 360-457-8206 for more information.

Licenses are also available online.

ANIMAL LICENSES FEES (1 Year license unless noted otherwise)


• Spayed or Neutered $ 10.00

• Not Spayed/Neutered $ 55.00

• Lifetime License $ 50.00 (Must be spayed/neutered and micro chipped)


• Spayed or Neutered $ 10.00

• Not Spayed/Neutered $ 55.00

• Lifetime $ 50.00 (Must be spayed/neutered)

My dog is obedient when out in public. Why do I have to have it on a leash?

ALL dogs walked must be under control while off of the owner’s property. Even though your dog is obedient, it is required under ordinance that you keep your dog on a leash. Even obedient dogs in an unfamiliar location can come into situations that put their welfare in jeopardy. Also, others don’t know your dog and may feel threatened in a place they should enjoy without fear. If you are observed without a leash on your animal, you can be cited with a civil infraction.

My neighbor’s dog won’t stop barking, Can anything be done?

Yes, uncontrolled barking of dogs is considered to be a nuisance. The following examples constitute disturbances:

• Barking, howling or whining for more than one hour

• Prolonged barking between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am


A permit and business license is required if you own a commercial or private kennel.

Applications for a kennel license are available through the Code Compliance Department.

Commercial kennels are anyone that takes in for resale or boarding another person’s dogs or cats.

A private kennel includes anyone that has more than 10 adult dogs or cats (or a combination of either) and produces no more than 3 litters for sale per year.

Important Numbers to Remember

Domestic & Livestock Animal Issues (within City Limits)

  • Police:360- 683-7227
  • DCD: 360-683-4908
  • Fish & Wildlife : 360-902-2936
  • (Wild Animal Concerns—Non Emergency)
  • Greywolf Vet (Injured Birds): 360-683-2106